Please Wait a Moment
 Follow us on Facebook:  

General Information & FAQ's

  1. How old do you have to be to apply for housing?
    You cannot sign a legal contract in the state of North Carolina unless you are AT LEAST 18 years of age.

  2. Who is eligible?
    Public housing is limited to low- income families and individuals. The Housing Authority determines your eligibility based on:
    • Annual gross income
    • Whether you qualify as elderly, a person with a disability, or a family.
    • U.S. citizenship or eligible immigration status
    • Criminal history
    • Rental history based on our screening process, Lenoir Housing Authority (LHA) will deny admission to any applicant whose habits and practices may be expected to have a detrimental effect on other residents’ or on the public housing environment.
  3. What is the application process?
    1. Application- An application is completed and submitted by the applicant in order to be placed on the waiting list.
    2. Waiting List- The family is placed on the waiting list in the order in which the application was received based on preference priority.  The application will show as pending until all required documents have been received.  Once documents have been provided you will be palced in the received status until your application is approved or denied.
    3. Interview/ Verification process- The interview will be conducted as applicants approach the top of the waiting list. Applicants will be informed of what documentation (if any) they need to provide to complete their application process. A deadline will be provided for the requested documents. Applicants who fail to provide the requested documents by the deadline, will have their application withdrawn, subject to reasonable accommodations for people with disabilities. Lenoir Housing Authority (LHA) will verify all applicable information according to policy. Once all paperwork has been returned and verified, and if the applicant is found eligible, the status will be updated from pending to received. Applicants will then be offered housing as it becomes available.
  4. How long will it take for me to obtain housing?
    The time frame varies on the number of vacancies we have each month and how many people are applying for housing. The waiting list also varies depending on which bedroom size you are qualified. However, you are valued as an applicant and we will work diligently to provide you with housing as soon as we are able.

  5. What if I owe money to a formal landlord or have a criminal history, can I still be housed?
    Every applicant is subject to our screening process that includes, but is not limited to a criminal background check and former tenancy histories. Applicants that owe a Housing Authority or any other federally subsidized program will not be processed for occupancy. The applicant must pay the funds owed prior to the application being processed. After the application is processed, the applicant must meet all other conditions for occupancy. Re-paying funds that are due, does not necessarily qualify an applicant for occupancy or program participation.

  6. What if I need emergency housing?
    The Lenoir Housing Authority CAN NOT provide emergency housing. Please see list of shelters listed under helpful links.

  7. If I live in public housing, can I apply for the housing choice voucher program (previously known as Section 8)?
    If the waiting list is open you may contact Western Piedmont Council of Governments to apply.

  8. Security deposit and pro- rated rent are due upon move in.
  9. Utilities service must be acquired by the resident in the HoH or another adult household member's name prior to obtaining the key to their new apartment.  Verification is to be submitted showing account number(s) and date of service transfer.
  10. Deduction allowances are considered for:
    • Dependents
    • Full-time students over the age of 18
    • Child care expenses when applicable.
    • Ongoing medical expenses for disabled/ handicap/ elderly that are paid out of pocket.


Birth Certificate Replacement Information

Caldwell County Vital Records
Caldwell County Register of Deeds
905 West Avenue NW Lenoir
(828) 757-1310

N.C. Vital Records
Location: 225 North McDowell Street
Raleigh, NC 27603-1382
Mail: 1903 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-1900
(919) 733-3000


Social Security Card Replacement Information

Local Social Security Office
1050 US HWY 321 NW
Hickory, NC 28601
(888) 877-1615
(800) 735-8262
Social Security- (800) 772-1213